Installations, Mid Century Domesticity, Banality & The Elitist Aesthetic

Installations, Mid Century Domesticity, Banality & The Elitist Aesthetic

The subject and even the palette in this installation by Lily van der Stokker screams disconnected! Art school hipster or once upon a time, trust fund BABY. Mama catered my b-days n' Sunday brunches. I don't really know "what" a broom is. And if I did, I would do a performance and installation about brooms.

This is an overly familiar platitude for artists (youthful and delusional) to lampoon domestic themes in institutional art. They love da pep to bismol, 50's domestic thing. Domesticity, isn't necessarily a gender topic any longer. Just another banality thing the peasants (like myself)  either engage to avoid dust mites on roaches and shit on the toilet. These are a few of my favorite things!

I'd like to see mundane domestic practices approached in terms of methodology and intentions. Cleaning, compartmentalizing and rearranging are identical processes to art making. Making sense of the world we live in and finding order in the universe. A ritual, we all will eventually pursue.


Comments

Popular Posts